You’ll Be Bamboozled By The Many Benefits Of Bamboo Products!
Sustainable Bamboo Products Are Perfect For Living Your Best Eco-Friendly Lifestyle:
Sustainable bamboo products — like our reusable bamboo straws — are here to stay. That is, unless (and until) you throw them away, in which case the average composting or landfill-lifespan of sustainable bamboo products ranges from about 4 months to 3 years, respectively [1, 2]. Compare that to the average 450-1,000 years it takes for plastic products to biodegrade (all the while leaching toxins), and it’s easy to see why so many people feel so good about the benefits of bamboo products .
[READ MORE: How Single-Use Plastics Are Killing Our Planet]
The Biggest Benefits Of Bamboo Product Popularity:
The world record for the fastest-growing plant belongs to a specific species of bamboo, which can grow up to 35in (91cm) in one day ! Similarly, global demand for sustainable bamboo products is expected to grow dramatically year-over-year through the 2020s — as fast or faster than other virgin-lumber alternatives, like reclaimed or plastic timber [5, 6, 7]. And that’s good news! Because everything that goes into creating unique bamboo products behind-the-scenes is better for the people and communities involved in farming, processing, and manufacturing, as well as the economy and the environment at large. Some of the biggest benefits of bamboo product use include:
1. The raw materials used in production of sustainable bamboo products and bamboo biofuels are easy to grow in abundance. Bamboo forests grow fast (from seed to harvest in just three years) and release more oxygen than traditional timber (which is harvest-ready after 25-60 years) [8, 9].
2. Sourcing materials for unique bamboo products has far less environmental impact than using other tropical hardwood or fibre materials .
3. Bamboo forests have extensive root networks, preventing soil erosion and depletion; that also means they don’t need to be replanted (the stalks regenerate from the roots after harvesting), and can be cultivated without chemical fertilisers or pesticides that harm the environment and human health .
4. Truly sustainable bamboo products (in every sense of the word) support fair and ethical economic growth and development in underdeveloped nations .
5. When processed appropriately, the raw bamboo materials (wood, pulp, and fibre) used in production of the most popular unique bamboo products can have very few environmental impacts (though some types of processing practices are better than others) .
6. When manufactured and packaged appropriately, truly sustainable bamboo products dramatically reduce greenhouse gas emissions and can have a zero or negative carbon footprint .
7. The best unique bamboo products are stronger than steel and more durable than other hardwood-based products, meaning they often have a longer usable life than their unsustainable competitors .
8. When processed and manufactured appropriately, many unique bamboo products are better for consumers — especially those with sensitivities, allergies, and immune suppression — because they are naturally non-toxic, hypoallergenic, antibacterial, and anti-fungal .
9. This last point is true even as sustainable bamboo products begin to break down in compost and landfill conditions. Where plastic is known to leach toxins and microplastic particles into soil, air, and water, truly sustainable bamboo products leave no trace .
10. As noted before, sustainable bamboo products break down fast under some conditions. Yet they last long in the hands of consumers when cared for — just don't bury your favourite sustainable bamboo products and expect to be able to dig them up for later use !
Everyday Uses For Sustainable Bamboo Products:
Truthfully, there are literally 10,000 different unique bamboo product uses ranging from construction materials and biofuels to consumer goods . Some of our favourite everyday uses for sustainable bamboo products include paper goods — like toilet paper and paper towels — as well as other fabrics (you can get all the benefits of bamboo products in your towels, clothes, sponges, makeup remover pads, and “cotton” swabs), plus home goods like utensils, plates, and reusable bamboo straws [20, 21]. Other sustainable bamboo products include flooring and decor, and even everyday electronics like solar-powered phone chargers, speakers, and amplifiers [22, 23].
Is Bamboo Eco-Friendly For Real? Don’t Get Bamboozled By Bad Suppliers:
How raw materials are processed and how unique bamboo products are manufactured and packaged can have a pretty significant impact on the benefits of bamboo product use . So, too, can the composition of unique bamboo products themselves; unscrupulous suppliers bill their goods as being sustainable bamboo products, but they’re actually only using a small amount of bamboo powder with mostly unsustainable and potentially toxic plastics [25, 26]. That’s why an important part of choosing sustainable bamboo products — whether you’re interested in reusable bamboo straws or bamboo fibre fabric — is working with a truly sustainable supplier like us! (Shameless plug to finish!!)
I hope we've convinced you as to how important using bamboo and natural products is as part of making this world a better place! Please let us know what you thought of it and share it on your socials if you feel like it! It goes a long way for us and in making a difference for the planet!
13. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/033b/1f0db59a1f88681c6c9629b7a56bcf79e837.pdf?_g a=2.139704627.141153989.1584212823-277818501.1584212823
14. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/310449562_The_Environmental_Impact_of_In dustrial_Bamboo_Products_-_Life-Cycle_Assessment_and_Carbon_Sequestration
19. http://www.inbar.int/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Press-release_how_green_are_bambo o_productsFINAL.pdf
24. https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/5/14/18563375/zero-waste-products-straws-jars-tot e-bags
26. https://www.sgsgroup.com.cn/en/news/2019/12/safeguards-18119-food-contact-bamboo -and-melamine-products-continue-to-face-challenges-in-europe